Nabila Makram: A living proof of Egyptian Women’s Power
We’re always on the search for causes to make Egyptian women feel empowered. With a million barriers pilling up to their burdens, they tend to feel more motivated when a real life local figure succeeds. From the minute Nabila Makram took her oath and problems started arising on her way. She met all that with what could be best described as determination!
Here’s a list of the times Nabila Makram empowered us:
- No time for meaningless criticism! The day Nabila Makram took her oath, critics stated that her outfit wasn’t suitable or conservative enough for the ceremony. N. Makram didn’t cave in for the words flying around that “incident”. She immediately spoke about it stating that as long as she’s working in public affairs then criticism is part of the package. She also, stated that she’s sorry that people aren’t taking an interest in solving real problems. Instead, they’re focusing on how short were her sleeves!
- New Challenge? No Problem! Holding a Minster’s position is tough enough. Meaningless to mention, the dilemmas and challenges you’ll be facing when being the minister of a newly formed ministry that has been canceled for almost 20 years. Being a woman in such a powerful position in Egypt is truly demanding, but that left no fear in Nabila Makram’s mind. She started her journey with a decisive set of ideas and agendas, that are still being applied instantly to solve any issue facing emigrants & expats.
- A Personal Life or A Career? Both, please! Nabila Makram definitely broke the rule and myth about that one. As inherited, Egyptian women tend to feel pressured to pick between having a personal life or proceeding with their careers. Well, here’s your proof that you could do both. The minister is happily married with 3 children, while holding a roof over Egyptian emigrants and expats, worldwide.
- Any small progress is still progress! The dream job for any Political Science graduate is always the aspiration to become a minister. Surely, the ambitious road to this position is full of small prior steps and hard working nights. Moving around many countries, holding multiple political positions, the journey was never easy for Nabila Makram. But, she managed to keep a rocketing success that landed her the ultimate dream of becoming a minister.
- “Minister” is just a title, we’re humans first! Nabila Makram could teach every powerful figure a lesson in humility. Not only that she dealt with huge issues, such as illegal emigration and residence in KSA, with instant actions. But, when a video rose online of an Egyptian woman in Kuwait documenting how a Kuwaiti woman accompanied by four others physically assaulted her and her son over a misunderstanding, Nabila fought for the case like a no other. Even when concerns escalated between Egypt and Kuwait over Safaa al-Hashim’s comments, H.E. Nabila took it upon herself to stand up bravely for Egyptian Citizens and Expats’ dignity even if it meant, at the time, international conflict.
We could go on and on about this influential, warm-hearted and humble human being, but the list could never reach an end. Egyptian Role Models such as Nabila Makram are, definitely, what we seek to find more each day in our country. With such a compelling and persuasive journey, we’re certain that this won’t be the end of her impeccable decisions and respectful actions.
*A Special contribution from young expats, who had the honor, of meeting H.E. Nabila Makram at the recently held World Youth Forum